Monday, June 7, 2010

So I lied. I decided to write about this picture next. Firstly, I find this old man awesome. He is just hanging out minding his own business, but clearly inquisitive of what's going on and why some stupid tourist is snapping a picture of him. But let's get more into the nitty gritty....he is sitting under a tree covered in lanterns. At a temple. And he's Chinese. Doesn't that fulfill ALL stereotypes of Chinese people right then and there? In case you can't tell, I'm being sarcastic. I'm also Chinese, so I'm half joking. Truth be told, what IS being Chinese? Is it walking beneath a pagoda, eating with chopsticks and going to temples? Obviously not. But it is VERY interesting to see how the West constructs what 'being Chinese' is, and seeing what exactly 'being Chinese' is here. The thing that I've become acutely aware of is how some Chinese try NOT to be Chinese, or really embrace everything that is Western as being 'superior'. I am not saying everyone does this, but I have noticed a sense of pride in Westernization here. I don't have any answers. Even having been told on several occasions by several different people both here and at home that I am 'not Chinese' or 'don't seem Chinese,' I feel like I need to find answers. I feel that I AM Chinese, but I really do not know why, because all my points of views are Western. I hope this year will help in finding some answers. And also help me answer why being called 'exotic' is SO irksome.

No comments:

Post a Comment