This is yet another eye-opening scene. It's a well-groomed street reminiscent of clean-cut suburban living in North America. Yet, it is where the well-to-do in this little city I live in reside. This is in major contrast to my last post, which showed the hard facts of day-to-day labour. Here, the streets are peppered with security men, gardeners, and a huge protection of the residents. To make it clear, I have never lived in a gated community, but have only driven by places like that (eg Bridle Path in Toronto). A sense of displacement results enough from moving to another country, but the disparity between classes is huge. You will have a factory worker that makes 2000RMB a month (less than $300 CAN), and the people in my community who make millions of RMB. Myself, I am not making millions, and will probably go back to living in a rented apt once back in downtown TO, but this definitely opens my eyes.
The next area I want to comment on is the social structure. It is not as clear-cut while going about everyday activities (eg buying groceries, riding on a bus), but it is crystal clear at work. The managers eat in a separate area embellished with white linen tablecloths and chairs. They are not to be addressed directly unless they address you. There is a reason for their glass doors. There is respect and then there is absolute separation between "rank"...and it just accentuates what I'm saying here about living differences. It's interesting to see...definitely a different society.

No comments:
Post a Comment