Friday, July 9, 2010

On being illiterate in a foreign country

Being able to articulate my thoughts well in written form is a pride of mine. In part, it is how I tend to weasel my way out of arguments, make a political stance, or establish a point clearly. In many ways it is a part of my personality and who I am. It does not come as a surprise, then, that I am so bothered by the fact that since I came to this country I have all but 'lost' this ability due to the fact that I cannot read (or can read very little) Chinese. As such, a lot of what I say loses credibility. I cannot read to back it up. I have to use translators to get through a simple daily task such as checking my email. I do not understand company-wide notices. All my personal issues become public because I need someone to help me read it. The other day I got my electricity bill. I had to get a coworker tell me how to read it. In many ways, although I am a fully-functioning, fully-aware adult, not being able to read has put me in a juvenile position. And because of my Asian appearance and my ability to speak Cantonese without an accent, it is not at first apparent to others that I am not from here. The other day, I was paying my bills at the bank (again since I cannot read to do the online banking, I must do it in person). The teller told me to fill out a form. "I'm sorry sir, I cannot read it, can you tell me what each category says so I may fill it out," I said to him. He looked at me with shock. The other tellers turned around and stopped what they were doing. The other customers turned and stared at me. In moments my own teller had about 3 others gathered around just to watch the situation unfold. I had to show my passport and explain that I was a foreigner. OH!! Then it clicked. I was not fraught with a case of underdevelopment. Just stupid because I wasn't from here, that's all! Wow! Now I'm the one who is the immigrant. How the tables have turned. It just brings me back to the point that, without the ability to read, I am relegated to the position of a child. It's frustrating, but makes me appreciate English-as-a-second-language individuals in my own country. Wearing someone else's shoes is all it takes.

No comments:

Post a Comment