As a Westerner, I tend to like my selective personal space and keeping to myself, regardless of being extroverted. So, even on days when I am tired and I am tempted to take a motorcycle home (the motorcycle taxis here are much faster than taking the bus), walking outside and being immediately solicited to by several drivers in the form of honking and yelling seriously makes me reconsider the decision. I am not quite sure how direct advertising here works, but I know one thing, it MUST work for some people, otherwise why do vendors keep doing it? I go to the market and people yell in my face to get me to purchase their vegetables. I walk down the street and people yell at me to get me to ride their taxi. I walk by a cell phone shop and I am instantly yelled at to ‘check out the deals.’ I understand direct advertising, but I don’t understand how it can be effective in such a context. In my opinion, an annoyed customer is less likely to pay any attention to the message. Yet clearly the message is conveyed, regardless of the format. And should I really be thinking of yelling in the form of marketing campaigns when really it’s not anything that’s pre-conceived or well-thought out? I guess it’s the advertising chick in me that has to respond. Yelling won’t gain you a foreign customer. Though I’m sure it will gain you several locals.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment